To all those looking for a good place to watch the fireworks over Dogwood Dell on Wednesday, here is some advice to make your night go smoother:
- The fireworks never start before 9pm.
- Driving up and down the streets of the Byrd Park neighborhood is not a good idea, though you might be able to secure a parking spot there earlier in the day.
- Lakeview Ave will become a frozen river of cars from 8pm to 10:30pm. Don't make it worse. When you attempt a 3-point turn, we will all laugh at you when it takes you 30-points and 15 minutes.
- Glowing plastic toys and accessories can also be purchased at Target in the dollar aisle.
- The odd texture you
feel under your butt and hands while sitting on the grass… That's goose poop. Bring a blanket or a folding chair.
- Bring fluids. It's been crazy hot lately. Travel light, but drink heavy, and make sure at least half of those fluids aren't alcohol.
- There will be a grand finale besides the colorful one up in the sky. After the festivities, there's always wild antics in the medians, often past midnight. It's sometimes worrisome, but mostly harmlesss. Some of the backfiring cars will actually be gunshots. Just go home.
- Pick up your own trash, please. The park and the neighborhood will appreciate it the other 364 days of the year.